About Trey Sutton
Mission Statement
Public Documents Resources

Welcome To T. R. E. Y.

Trey's Story by Billy Whitt

Trey Von Sutton was born on August 1, 1986. I met him in the Fall of 2003 at Southern Arkansas University. Before I met him, I heard of this purple Camaro Z28 he had that was really fast. That interested me because I have a '67 Camaro RS. I was naturally drawn to Trey because we had the same interests in life, and we both had sarcastic personalities. After graduating from Redwater High School, Trey came to SAU and pledged Phi Lambda Chi. I was Vice - President with the responsibility of Pledge Master. Trey was my only Little Brother in the Fraternity. My senior year at SAU Trey and I roomed together in Talley Hall. Our room could be spotted by the window unit hanging off the side of the building. We enjoyed a lot of good times together, never getting into a disagreement. We raced cars, went to parties, some would say "had too much fun," but on another note, Trey and I shared some deep emotions with one another. He became my best friend in those few years.

After I graduated, Trey moved into the famed 9D apartment with Kyle and Colby. During that time Trey found out he had developed Chondrosarcoma in his sacrum. I still remember the first time I had talked to him after finding out the news. I asked, "Trey why didn't you tell me you had cancer!" He responded, "I didn't know how to tell my friend Hey I have cancer." That statement will always stick with me the rest of my life. Over the next three years Trey had chemo and surgery to remove the tumor and was cancer free for a few months. I still remember him showing me that scar. They literally had to cut him almost in half and take the fibula out of his leg and reconstruct the sacrum with a lot of screws. Life was a struggle for a while, but with a lot of work Trey was able to return his life back to normal.

In the summer of 2008, Trey stood in as my best man at my wedding. I was so honored to have him by my side during one of the most important events in a person's life. Trey was not able to stand up with the groomsmen and this bothered him for a bit, but I told him not to worry about it and that I was just glad he was feeling well enough to come. During the pictures, the photographer asked the groomsmen to kiss Shannan on the cheek and Trey was determined that I wasn't going to like that picture and refused to do it.

On March 2, 2009, Trey showed up at the hospital with Zach to witness the birth of my little boy, Miller. He was just as excited as I was to see what the "result" of Shannan and me would look like. Over the next year, Uncle Trey came to see Miller at our house several times. Miller naturally took to him and let Trey hold him without crying. As Miller grows older I will always tell him that he is Uncle Trey.

In the past two years I started wondering about Trey's salvation and prayed that God would work in his life. I spoke to Trey a little about God, but at this point in his life he wasn't ready to listen to what I was saying. I just kept praying for God's Grace, Mercy, and Will to be done in Trey's life. Shannan and I had numerous conversations about this, and we both continued to pray.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010, Trey received his Lord and Savior at his house through Pastor Steve Rice. Shannan, the children, and I went to see him that evening and bring him some photos of the family and Ice Cream Snickers. We both congratulated him when we saw him, and I told him that a lot of people's prayers were answered that day including mine. Miller wore his squeaky shoes and Trey didn't care for that much saying, "Who would make shoes like that?" After a long visit, we said our Goodbye's and I Love You's.

Sunday, July 4th, 2010, at a little past 3:30 pm Trey was baptized in his bed at home. This is the most moving baptism I have ever witnessed! I could feel the presence of God's Holy Spirit among all of us in his room. There were around 60 people that witnessed Trey's baptism that afternoon, and I believe everyone could say that event will always have a special place in their heart. After the baptism people were congratulating him and I told him that I was proud of him. The look on his face was one of surprise and he said, "You are?" I reassured him I was and that I loved him. Will, TJ, and I stayed after everyone had left, to visit with his parents and talk with Trey a little bit more. When we got ready to leave we said goodbye to Trey. I told him I would see him in the next few days and that I would bring him some Ice Cream Snickers when I came. Trey responded, "That's what's up." Little did I know this was the last thing Trey would say to me.

The following morning around 4:30 Trey woke his parents up by the monitor in his room. Kevin walked in and said, "Trey, what is wrong?" Trey responded with, "Kevin, I think I am dying." Kevin assured him he wasn't and that he was just having trouble breathing. At that moment Trey turned in his bed, looked up at heaven with arms outstretched, and said, "I see God."

Trey was taken to St. Michael's ER soon after and I received the call from Kevin to come up there. I got to the hospital around 7:00 am and Trey was already in a restful state when I arrived, but I stood by his side and told him that I was here for him and that I loved him. There were a lot of friends and family in the room supporting Trey and he fought. Around 8:25 am we all noticed Trey's shallow breathing and in the next few moments he went to be with the Lord.

Trey's funeral was on Thursday, July 8, 2010, at First Baptist Church Redwater with Pastor Steve officiating. His message was unlike any other I had ever heard at a funeral. He did an awesome job, giving glory to God the whole time. It was the family's wish to have invitation at the end of the service and a lot of my close friends accepted the Lord as their Savior that day.

I was so excited about people being led to the Lord through Trey's testimony. That is the reason I wanted to post this. If his story has led just one person to the Lord then it has fulfilled God's purpose, but it has much more potential than that. Everyone should hear this story of Trey's Testimony whether saved or not. I hope this story has touched your life as much as it has mine. I can honestly say that my faith has been strengthened exponentially by this experience. I will share this story whenever I can because Trey's life is a testament of God's Love, Grace, and Mercy He still has for His people through the power of prayer.

Trey Sutton

Copyright (c) 2011-2015. To Reach Every Youth. All Rights Reserved.